Wednesday 6 November 2013

06 - Great Nineties Horror



In a move that will shock absolutely nobody (because that’s how many people are reading this), I’ve moved on to the nineties. A word of warning for this one: I’ve not actually revisited all of these, so I’m going on my memories of what I liked at the time. Sorry if my younger taste offends.

NOTE: These are NOT the best. This is not an official Top Six List (Though it’s good enough) – they’re just good movies, and they’re in approximate date order rather than order of preference. Still actively avoiding slashers, saving them for later.


 
Misery (1990) That said, I think I’m safe with this one. It’s not as close an adaptation as Rosemary’s Baby, but it certainly captures a lot of the spirit of the book and is well worth watching if you’ve somehow not seen it yet.




Tremors (1990) If you want to be picky it’s a monster action comedy, but I’m more than happy to give this one a horror nod. A small Nevada town comes under attack from giant burrowing monsters, and the townsfolk fight back.




Man Bites Dog (1992) Again, if you’re being picky, dark comedy crime mockumentary. A documentary film crew follows a serial killer around as he commits various murders, getting more and more involved as the film plays out.




The Prophecy (1995) A civil war between angels erupts on the earth. Starring Christopher Walken as the archangel Gabriel and featuring Viggo Mortensen as Lucifer. Is that not enough for you?




Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1996) Apart from the appearance of the Crypt Keeper, this has precious little to do with the Tales from the Crypt TV series or the original EC comics. The occupants of a boarding house battle an army of demons. I’d still love to see a sequel.





From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) I envy anyone who got to see this one without being spoiled beforehand, expecting just a hostage/road movie. If this trailer is anything to go by, I doubt many were that lucky.
 
Actually, if you ditch Misery and Man Bites Dog, this would probably make a good night's horror viewing. You can watch them some other time if you like, I won't mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment