Sunday 3 November 2013

03 - Great Sixties Horror



For the next few days, I’ll show you the trailers for some great horror movies, broken down by decade. I’m starting here with the 1960s.

NOTE: These are NOT the best. This is not an official Top Five List – they’re just good movies, and they’re in approximate date order rather than order of preference.

I’ll be honest – some of these are pretty mainstream, far more than other decades. On the other hand, it means I get to share one of my favourite trailers of all time.
 

 Psycho (1960). I don’t need to tell you how good this film is – but what about that trailer? It tells you so much, but spoils nothing.
 
 

Carry On Screaming! (1966) The Carry On films are a British institution – a series of loose historical/genre parody comedy films, filled with innuendo and bad puns. I love them.


 
Night of the Living Dead (1968) Again, you don’t need to be told how good this one is. Well, probably not.


Twisted Nerve (1968) Freaky weirdness with Hywell Bennett and Hayley Mills. You’ll probably recognise the theme from when it was used in Kill Bill. It’s a little easier to enjoy if you can overlook the dodgy attitude to Down’s syndrome.

 
Rosemary’s Baby (1968) I love this film. If you enjoy it, I’d recommend picking up the book – it’s so close to the film, you’ll think it came after.

No comments:

Post a Comment